Welcome News Student Advisors Know Jacobs Gallery Contact US

Notice

After serving four batches of incoming freshmen students at Jacobs University, "The Freshmen Blog" has now come to it's scheduled phase out. It will not be maintained by the Students or the Administration at Jacobs University anymore. The information presented here is for archival reasons and more update sources should be used by the new incoming classes.. Thank you :)

Ankur Modi
Founder of the "The Freshmen Blog" Initiative

Friday, July 31, 2009

Students Confessions on Host Families

In the sections below students share the experience they had with their host families, a friendship that was built even before coming to Jacobs.

"
When I first came to Germany I had a lot of questions about the culture and people here: even though there were people to help me on campus, I had no way of finding out how to deal with things outside campus, not in the very beginning at least, and that's when my host family helped me. They picked me up from the airport and helped me settle in on campus, helped me move all my atuff and were there for me whenever I needed anything. They come to the university events such as Eid and Spotlight and are interested in my life like my own family is. They often bring me gifts and invite me to dinner at their place too to make me feel at home. They are a family to me away from home. Even now, I am in constant touch with them and meet them at every opportunity I get, because spending time with them is a treat in itself." - Nayab

"I was well aware of the impact host families have on students at Jacobs, but I didn't know how much I would end up caring for them. It was with thier help that I discovered and understood German lifestyle and culture. It all started with an introductory email and continued with their visits to the university, invites to their home, even going out to clubs with my host brother's friends. I am extremely happy when I meet them and always proud to have them as my host family" - Seby

"
I remember having a few chills last year as I stepped down at the Bremen airport. Even though I knew I would be greeted by a dozen of hearty Jacobians, I was tensed. I was going out for the first time. I was all alone and I had no know-about of the place. For the very first time in my life, I wished I had a guardian by my side. And it was.. that very instant that I saw Astrid and Manni, aka my host parents. They had a warm and joyous smile on their face. They seemed happy, excited, and were accompanied by flowers for their host daughter. I remember how I stood still for a moment like a complete moron. I just didn't expect them.
And well, from the first time when we met at the airport to now as I write about them, I cherish every single moment spent with them. Celebrating festivities together on-off campus, checking out new places to eat, sight-seeing, having dinner at their place, getting to know more about each-other's culture, cheering for my little cheerleader sister, cheering for Manni during soccer matches and what not, all of them were truly worth it.
The most memorable of them all was at Christmas. Though I had heard a lot about Christmas, I didn't know how it was actually celebrated in German households. After having a lovely dinner, I remember sitting down quietly as the members of the family exchanged gifts and unwrapped them. I agree, I did feel a bit out of place for those tiny moments which didn't last that long. Each and every member of the family had some or the other gift for the new one. It was touching. Indeed it was. The whole night was spent singing carols, talking, discussing, and getting to know one-another. They truly gave me a sense of belonging which I guess is the very essence of this program.
Now when I pack my bags again leaving my friends and family here in India.. I know that I would be going to Germany to a whole clump of friends.. and Family :) " - Rashi

"The freshmen year at Jacobs has been from intensenly intense to completely insane and from incredibly dull to outrageously fun. When I think about all these roller coaster times that I have had, there is one thing that I cherish more than anything else about Jacobs i.e. My HOST FAMILY! I first had the chance to meet up with them at the all-university barbeque during o-week. A very excited Hanna welcomed the equally excited me and introduced me to her husband Klaus and their 17 year old son Julian. Hanna is a high school teacher and her husband Klaus, the administrator of the town of Bremen Neustadt. Julian happens to be a talented guitarist and plays along with a local Jazz band. The whole experience with my host family has truly been full of cherishable moments. From attending live musical performances of Julian to exploring Bremen with Hanna, I have had a lot of interaction with my host family and the German culture at large. The most memorable time I spent with them though was at Christmas. Staying over at their house for 4 days, I had celebrated my first real Christmas. The presents, the dinners, the cookies, the movies and hours of stimulating debates about the present situation of Pakistan and Germany meant a great chance for me to indulge closely with the lifestyle of my Host family and understand their viewpoints while simultaneously telling them mine. I and Hanna even took out this time to cook some Pakistani food for the family who truly enjoyed the South Asian spices. I was also pleasantly surprised when my Host family decided to visit me on my Birthday and bring me a cake that Hanna had baked herself. It was truly the sweetest thing that had happened to me in a while. In short, being away from home, these littlest things make you very emotional. And it is in times like these that you need a sense of belonging and a sense of emotional support, which is, in my honest opinion the very essence of the Jacobs Host Family program. The thing that has been truly remarkable about this whole experience is the realization about how similar the people are around the world, and how many opportunities are out there if we decide to come over our differences and actually communicate." - Ehsaan

For authors and administrators :
Use "trebuchet" font for the text in your posts with font size "normal". Also ensure that the images attached in your posts fit the column. Lastly, ensure that the post has valid labels (label names are the same as the link names like jacobsinfo, housing and so on) for proper article availability.